Pages

Sunday 9 August 2009

Weekend culture - Walking in my mind


I went to see the Walking in my mind exhibition at the Southbank yesterday, which was the first bit of art culture I have taken on in a couple of years (my mother, the artist, would be horrified).

It was quite interesting, I wouldnt say that I loved all of it, some of it was a little bit much for my taste but it is there to provoke reaction so in that sense it worked I suppose.

One of my favourite artists Yoshitomo Nara was part of the exhibition and his installation was by far my favourite, he had created a little house full of his artwork and his own belongings, some things from his childhood and other collected items, which was wonderful for me to see as I have loved his work for about 10 years now and getting that close to his work was really nice, I really enjoyed seeing his sketches in real life as I have only ever seen them in print until that point.
(image below found via the exhibition website).


The other part I liked was by Yayoi Kusama, who had installed a bright red room with white dots all over and giant red dotty inflatable shapes inside, then you could go outside to a bright green astroturfed area on the roof where there were more red dotty shapes that you could touch and climb on.


It was such a beautiful day that I took these outdoor pictures with my phone and they came out remarkably well considering!

No comments:

Post a Comment